12 June 2020
These books cover challenging topics, so we encourage you to read them with your children, and discuss.
- Henry’s Freedom Box: A True Story from the Underground Railroad Written by Ellen Levine and illustrated by Kadir Nelson, Scholastic Press
- Ella Queen of Jazz Written by Helen Hancocks, Frances Lincoln Children’s Books
- The Story of Ruby Bridges Written by Robert Coles and illustrated by George Ford, Scholastic Inc.
- Up Home Written by Shauntay Grant and illustrated by Susan Tooke, Nimbus Publishing
- Can I Touch Your Hair? Written by Irene Latham and Charles Waters and illustrated Sean Qualls and Selina Alko, Carolrhoda Books
- Strange Fruit: Billie Holiday and the Power Written by Gary Golio and illustrated by Charlotte Riley-Webb, Lerner Publishing Group of a Protest Song
- Underground to Canada Written by Barbara Smucker, Puffin Classics
- X: A Novel Written by Ilyasah Shabazz with Kekla Magoon, Candlewick Press
- My name is Henry Bibb: A Story of Slavery and Freedom Written by Afua Cooper, Kids Can Press
- Stella by Starlight Written by Sharon M. Draper, Atheneum Books for Young Readers